Multitasking is not working

I haven't written in this blog for quite awhile. There simply is not enough time. My digital life while deeply amusing is definitely getting a little out of control. I Stumble, which informs my delicious which I have yet to connect to my Facebook, so I took down my My Space Page, which was only getting spammed by people who wanted to be "friends" with Mom's anyway and don't get me started on Twitter...which is all in addition to checking the Ad sites and the politco sites and the news sites and of course one of my favorite sites Digg, why I barely have time to watch my favorite sci-fi videos on Afterworld and I do want to know why Robert is the last man on earth.

Even as I write I am trying to type this while Lila my 1 year old is trying to figure out how it works, she just hit F11, which on a Mac is, i forget what it's called but I call it, Clear Your Desk Now! all the open windows hide.

The thing is...and the thing we can do is to stop...just a little bit.

I just read a Fabulous and funny and incisive article in the Atlantic, it's the 150th Anniversary issue called the, The Autumn of the Multitaskers by Walter Kirn. You must read this if you are at the gym, on the treadmill, checking your email and catching up on your favorite blog while watching the news and talking to you mom on the phone. Please.

To roughly quote and of course para phrase,

"Efficiency, convenience and mobility.

For proof that these bundled minor virtues don't amount to freedom but are instead a formula for a period of mounting frenzy climaxing with a lapse of fatigue."

OR

"It isn't working, it has never worked and [] way deep down inside ourselves (a place we almost forgot even existed) we always knew it couldn't work.

The scientists know this too and they think they know why..."

I'll leave you all to check the article yourself it is a brilliant little diatribe on the real cause and effect of multi-tasking right down to the $650 Billion a year it costs this country in multi tasking disruptions.

Anyway, it's all good. We're gonna be ok. And as my Nana Sheppard once said to me..."Try. Be kind. Be yourself."

-elena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday Night in the Snow